FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is an exciting Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) programme for 6-9 year olds. Through meaningful team-based relationships between peers and adults, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. participants engage in valuable STEM experiences relevant to the world around them.
How FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. works
- Form a team of up to six children, ages 6 to 9. You can form this team however you like: through a school, as a family, with a community group or in any other way.
- Choose an Expo and register to take part (see below). You'll then be sent a Team Meeting Guide for the coach. This guide suggests step by step instructions of how you can organise the team’s activities. You will also receive a LEGO "Inspire Set", which should be included in the LEGO MODEL that the team build, and an Engineering Notebook for each team member.
- A new Challenge is set worldwide each year, based on a real-world topic and you need to download the Challenge document to get started.
- Coach your team as they work on this Challenge over several weeks.
- Bring your team to the nearest “Expo” event where they'll present their work to other teams and adults.
You don't need any particular expertise to be a team coach - just an enthusiasm to help the children develop life skills while investigating a STEM topic.
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. Children:
- Design and construct a LEGO MODEL using LEGO bricks and motorised moving parts ideally with the LEGO Education WeDo or WeDo 2.0 kits
- Research an area of the real-world topic and show what the team finds out on a SHOW ME poster
- Learn about the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CORE VALUES by working in a group - build self-confidence, knowledge, teamwork and life skills.
You can find more general details about the programme on the global website.
Expos for 2016/17:
|London North||3 December 2016|
|Belfast||April / May 2017|
|North Tyneside||April / May 2017|
Registration for all Expos opening soon. Keep an eye on this page for more information.
Swing like a monkey, fly like a bat, or hop like a frog into the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. CREATURE CRAZE season. Whether in zoos, on the farm, or in your own back garden, we all encounter animals in our lives. In the 2016-2017 CREATURE CRAZE Challenge, over 40,000 children will dive into the wonders of the animal kingdom.
Each year, FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. presents a new and exciting Challenge to ignite the creativity of young children. While exploring the real-world theme, teams will learn about simple machines as they build a model made of LEGO elements with a motorized part. They will also learn to present information through a Show Me Poster. Throughout their experience, teams will operate under a signature set of Core Values, celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism®.